The beauty of this meal, is that it is served with as many little side dishes as you want to serve.
The acroutrements are usually a little salty so as to will impart flavor when it is mixed into the bowl. Each bowl ends up being unique based on the the individual's taste.
Give it a shot and let me know how you like it!
5 cups of water
pinch of salt
Rice cooker - add all ingredients, and click on cook (should take about 45 mins)
Slow cooker - add all ingredients, select high (should be ready in 2-3 hours)
Here's the fun part. Go simple or elaborate, your choice!
Picture: From top going clockwise
|Thanks to Hubie for capturing a picture of the acroutrements |
from our jook dinner
- Stir Fried seasoned Tofu with chinese chives
- Ground pork in black bean sauce with bitter gourd
- Char Siu (Honey BBQ Pork loin) from Asian Grocers
- Pickled mustard greens with tofu
- Sweet and Salty Spicy Lemony anchovies and peanuts
- Century Eggs (in middle)
- Salted Duck Eggs
- Fried Dace fish with salted black beans/ Braised eel - canned found at Asian Grocery stores